19/02/2011

someday...

"Everyone should have one, it belongs to all....it will change our perceptions, change our behaviours..."
This was the attitude I had once upon a time before starting my Masters in London. One can call it naive, but I would point it more as an idealist. I believed that if you were to introduce a new concept to a mass, then it will be explored and cultured into modern society. And this was my selfish act. "what I create, you will use, what I like you will understand why...." Over these past couple of years, encountering students in different fields, ins and outs of tutorials, I have learned that my stubbornness can be quite persistent. Yet, being among designers has allowed me to grasp the concept of "designing for another". Although I have pushed ideas and concepts on many different levels, my climax point was to create a system that had a universal understanding.  Once again, "everyone should have one, it belongs to all, it will change our perceptions, change our behaviours..." This is where it ends, as an idea, in an utopian world. Yet, it remains existent, and maybe will be re-introduced in a near future. For now, it remains as an image shared among others. Creating an universal system should not be my concern but a piece that can maybe make you react in horror or curiosity is as successful.






                     examples on the system that fixes parts of a broken chair
                                                                                                        © Niloufar Afnan

                                                                                
                                                                      

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

It makes me react. Not in horror. Not in curiosity. But in admiration of your creativity. This is beautiful.